Friday, July 13, 2012

4th - Simple Present Tense VS. Present Progressive Tense


I.         Check the correct sentence in each pair:

*    Alex is coming from Canada.
*    Alex comes from Canada.

*    This is a great party. Everyone has a good time.
*    This is a great party. Everyone is having a good time.

*    I read a book right now.
*    I’m reading a book right now.  

We always use non-action verbs in the simple present tense only.
I like soda.                                                                       (NOT I’m liking soda.)
I’m hungry. I want something to eat.                           (NOT I’m wanting.)
Some non-action verbs are: want, like, love, need, know, be

II.      Look at the picture and complete the sentences (Simple Present or Present Progressive)

1.      This IS(be)  Marc.
2.      He IS WEARING  (wear)  a t-shirt and shorts today.
3.      He IS EATING (eat) an apple at the moment.
4.      Marc Likes (like)  fruits and vegetables.                                                       
5.      He EATS (eat) some of them every day.
6.      Marc KNOWS (know)that apples ARE (be) good for his health.

III.   Read this conversation between Brian and Sara. Put the verbs into the correct form. Use present progressive.
Sara: Brian! How nice to see you! What (1) ARE YOU DOING (you / do) these days?
Brian: I (2) AM TRAINING (train) to be a supermarket manager.
Sara: Really? What`s it like (3) ARE YOU ENJOYING (you / enjoy) it?
Brian: It`s all right. What about you?
Sara: Well, actually I (4) AM NOT WORKING (not / work) at the moment. I (5) AM TRYING (try) to find a job but it`s not easy. But I`m very busy. I (6) AM DECORATING (decorate) my flat.
Brian: (7) ARE YOU DOING (you / do) it alone?
Sara: No, some friends of mine (8) ARE HELPING (help) me.
IV.    Use the verbs in brackets to complete these sentences. Sometimes you have to write the negative. Use simple present.

a.         A liar is someone who DOESN’T TELL (not / tell) the true.
b.         Normally I FINISH (finish) work at 5.00, but this week I AM WORKING (work) until 6.00 to earn some a bit more money.
c.          It TAKES (take) me an hour to get to work. How long DOES IT TAKE (it / take) you?
d.         Bees MAKE (make) honey.
e.          I PLAY (play) the piano but I DON’T PLAY (not / play) very well.
f.           An atheist DOESN’T BELIEVE (not / believe) in god.
g.         The earth GOES (go) round the sun.
h.          “What DO YOU DO (you / do)?” “ I`m an electrical engineer.”
i.           The sun RISES (rise) in the east.

V.       Choose and circle the correct alternative in each case.

  1. How often ________________? Not very often. Once a month.
a)  do you eat out           b) eats out    c) is you eating out          d) does you eat out

  1. You __________sad. What's the matter?
a) are looking       b) look           c) looks           d) looking

  1. Would you like some chocolate? No, thanks. I _________ chocolate.
a) hates     b) am hating              d) hate           d) is hating

  1. I have to go now. It _______ dark.
a) gets       b) is gets         c) is getting  d) are get       

  1. Don't go. Bob still ________ to talk to you.
a) needing             b) needs         c) need            d) are needing

  1. They _________ a great time at today's party.
a) are having      b) have            c) has  d) having

  1. What ________________________  now?
      a) does she do b) is she doing          c) do she doing           d) she is doing

     8. After breakfast, Sally usually ___________  to   school.
            a) is cycling     b) cycle            c) cycling        d) cycles

  1. Why ____________him? He tells you the truth.
      a) don’t you believing   b) aren’t you believing         c) don’t you believe
            d) you not believe

No comments:

Post a Comment