Friday, June 22, 2012

5th - Simple past VS Past Progressive

ANSWER KEY

I.      Put the verbs into the correct SIMPLE PAST form.
Last year I spent my holiday in Turkey. It was great. I travelled  around by car with my family and we  visited lots of interesting places. In the evenings we usually went to a pub. One night we even learnt some Turkish  dances. We were very lucky with the weather. It didn’t rain a lot. But we saw some beautiful rainbow.
II.        Fill in the gaps with the Past Continuous of the verbs in brackets.
1.       Tim was working   (work) when the phone rang.
2.       They weren’t watching ( not/watch) T.V when Linda arrived.
3.       While I was crossing (cross) the street, a car had an accident.
4.       The teacher wasn’t talking (not/talk) when John arrived.
5.       The pupils were playing (play) when the bell rang.
6.       Lucy was studying (study) when someone knocked at the door.

III.     Complete with When or While.
1.       WHILE my father was working in the store, I was doing my homework.
2.       My mother got very happy WHEN she saw my school grades.
3.       I was listening to music WHEN Sandra knocked at my door.
4.       WHEN the earth quake started I was taking a shower.
5.       I was reading WHILE the music was playing.

IV.      Use the appropriate verb form.
1.       He was watching (watch) TV while I was doing (do) my homework.
2.       While Sue was talking (talk) on the phone, someone stole (steal) her bag.
3.       When my roommate arrived (arrive), I was trying (try) to find my keys.
4.       What were you doing (do) when I left (leave) home?
5.       Our teacher was telling (tell) us about Shakespeare, when the bell rang (ring).

V.        Match the following phrases and write the two parts.
1.  The boys were playing in the street
2.  Mark heard a noise
3.  Jane was leaving the house
4.  Laura came to visit us
a.       While we were playing Monopoly.
b.       While he was sleeping.
c.       When they heard the shots.
d.       When she remembered the iron was on.

KEY: 1.c. – 2.b. – 3.d. – 4.a.

VI.      Write sentences with When and While. Use the cues given.
1.       Amanda / drive home / see a car accident.
While Amanda was driving home, she saw a car accident.
2.       Candy / live in Australia / attend the university.
While Candy was living in Australia, she attended the University.
3.       Peter and I / study at home / our friends play a football game.
While Peter and I were studying at home, our friends were playing a football game.
4.       Mark / help to do the project / my parents go out.
While Mark was helping to do the project, my parents went out.
5.       Someone / bring the newspaper / I prepare breakfast.
Someone brought the newspaper while I was preparing breakfast.

VII.    Test model.
1. a)

2. c)

3. d)

4. b)

5. a)

6. a)

7. d)

8.  a)

9. a)

 


No comments:

Post a Comment